Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sober and Disorderly


One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

- AA Milne

I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the neat freaks.

Disorderly, disheveled, discombobulated, and pretty much all of the other "dis's" can be applied to me in some fashion or the other.

I made a "discovery" yesterday just like Pooh's creator. Actually it really comes under the "miracle of filing." I almost never file anything. Usually some soul who is highly organized and can't stand my entropy will eventually put my stuff in folders (even folders with labels!) in a file cabinet. Now I hate this and mourn for days that I can't find anything and worry that something important was discarded.

Anyway, I had been looking for some information that was 12 years old that I thought would be the magic bullet for the problem I was trying to solve. Yesterday I was looking through everything trying to find the directions on how to change a name on our phones when I found a file containing the info I needed. It was in a folder with a label. Of course, I had figured it would be in the middle of some pile or another. I did a little happy dance and then discovered that it really wasn't that helpful.

Oh, by the way, I wasn't so lucky at finding the phone instructions. I'll probably come across them while looking for something else.

I actually like having to go back through stacks of stuff. Since I pretty much keep everything, it's like a walk down memory lane. It's time consuming and a perfect pastime for a procrastinator.

Sometime in the future (if I find an appropriate quote) I'll tell you about the time my boss cleaned my office. She even cleaned out my desk drawers. Oh, the trauma of it all…

Later

No comments: